14 December 2009

hmm.



as. i was decorating the christmas tree today. yes. by myself. please. let's be honest. the caroling around the tree. the hot chocolate. the merriment. portrayed in the movies and magazines. is just that. dreamy merriment. as in a dream. sorry. but i don't know anyone. anyone. who lives that fantasy.

it's usually the moms. up late. hanging the ornaments. maybe a drink of wine nearby. that's the reality.

the dream is nice. sure. but it's a dream.

so anyway. as i was unwrapping and hanging the ornaments. i realized. that i can remember who gave me or where i got each and every ornament on my tree. of course. i forgot what i had for dinner last night. or what i wore yesterday. but i can remember that. those important details.

it took a bit longer to decorate this year. reliving all those good times. and thinking of all those good people who've made a difference in my life and who i'll remember every christmas as i decorate the tree (by myself. mind you).


trips to santa fe.
trips to the beach.
annual collectibles.
mementos of occassions.
funny memories.
happy memories.

but in

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean...I was decorating the tree by myself, till 2:00 am, while Charie snored away on the couch. At least nothing got broken and I didn't have to move the ornaments around in the morning.

    ReplyDelete